Exciting Internship Opportunity:
L3: Listen, Learn, Lead Internship Program for United Campus Ministry (UCM) Chaplaincy
Internship Program Description
- Helps Interns explore and discover their unique life callings or career paths.
- Offers 4 internships in four potential program tracks: Sciences, Arts & Humanities, Business, and Wellness.
- Provides leadership development and mentoring opportunities.
- Gives interns the opportunity to interact and network with area professionals, including the ability to shadow individuals in professional ministry.
- Guides/facilitates participants in conversations.
- L3 Interns are representatives, promoters and advocates, responsible for student programming in assigned L3 tracks.
- Student programming might include weekly or lunchtime series small group discussions, guest speaker or panel events, bible studies, spiritual practices, retreats, forums, and service projects.
- Co-leads and organizes programs with other students and interns.
- Recruits students for L3 programs, especially assigned L3 program track.
- Creates and distributes publicity for programs, utilizing: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, website updates, print materials, newsletter, chalking; attends First Look Fair, Take Another Look Fair, and other publicity events.
- Visits local churches with Chaplain on Sunday mornings to provide L3 “Minute for Mission” or update. (2X per semester).
- Plans and coordinates annual retreat with other interns for all L3 participants.
- Researches career development as it relates to faith and spirituality.
- Attends weekly staff meeting with Chaplain Holly Ulmer and other L3 interns.
- Compiles and writes end of semester report on activities and accomplishments (specific L3 area)
Open to planning and participating in both Christian and interfaith programs. Available to travel for some programs/events that are off-campus in Baltimore/DC metro areas. (Ex. Local Churches, Seminaries, Bread for the World, NIH (National Institutes of Health)). Coordination and attendance in annual retreat at a designated location in the Mid-Atlantic region.
Required skills: Highly Responsible and Reliable; Multi-cultural sensitivity; Works well independently and as a team player; Self-starter; Strong oral communication and communication skills in multiple forms; Word processing.
Preferred skills and qualities: Ability to create a welcoming environment for diverse participants.
Internship Outcome: Leadership training; program execution; and event coordination. Deepen self-awareness and connection of faith/spirituality or core values with academic and career choices.
Hours: 10 per week; on and off-site.
Schedule: Flexible, but weekend availability required.
Stipend: $750 per semester, or $1500 per academic year.
Supervisor: L3 program administrator and internship coordinator – UCM, Rev. Holly Ulmer, Chaplain; The Intern is an employee of the United Campus Ministry Board of Directors.
How to Apply: Send cover letter, unofficial transcript, resume, 350 word essay exploring your career calling or possibilities, and 2 references (may be included on resume) electronically to Rev. Holly Ulmer, Chaplain at firstname.lastname@example.org . Please have documents in Word format. This internship can also be accessed through the Careers4Terps website, and may qualify for academic credit. Positions will be open until filled. Please send questions to Chaplain Holly Ulmer at email@example.com .