11/17 – 11/24
Ever want to go on a retreat but don’t feel like you have the time? No problem!
Join in the interfaith Busy Student Retreat right here at UMD to deepen your daily spiritual experience and reduce end of semester stress.
Ways to participate
- Select your own activities in the list below, each one earns points.
- Highest point earners will receive a prize:
1st Prize – $50 gift certificate for University Book Store
3 runner-up prizes – $15 gift certificate for Jason’s Deli
- Download, and use the Busy Retreat Point Sheet to keep track of your points.
- To be eligible for a prize, email your point sheet to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59 p.m. on 11/24 Questions? Contact Chaplain Holly Ulmer
Busy Student Retreat Activities
1. Attend Busy Retreat launch event, 11/17, 6-7:30 p.m., Memorial Chapel Introduction to the retreat with pizza and snacks. Connect with students from diverse spiritual or religious traditions 10 points
2. Daily Prayer, Meditation or Silence Commit to prayer, meditation or silence for 15 minutes each day during the retreat week. 5 points
3. Spend 15 minutes reading sacred or holy texts from your spiritual/religious tradition. 5 points/each time
4. Reflect or journal on Busy Retreat questions for 15 minutes, 5 points
- What do you hope to gain from the Busy Retreat?
- What are you learning from participating in Busy Retreat activities?
- How is the Busy Retreat impacting your spirituality/faith?
- What personal message does this time of retreat hold for you?
5. Schedule a spiritual conversation or spiritual direction with Chaplain Holly Ulmer, email@example.com, or another campus chaplain. https://thestamp.umd.edu/Memorial_Chapel/Chaplains 20 points
6. Walk the Memorial Chapel Labyrinth in the garden. 10 points
7. Attend L3:Power of Purpose, 11/20, 12 – 2 p.m. (Come and go as needed) Pyon Su Room, 2108, Stamp Student Union. Share with other students where you are on your spiritual journey and how the retreat is going so far. 10 points
8. Attend an event related to your spiritual/religious tradition., 10 points
9. Attend an event for a spiritual/religious tradition not your own. 10 points
10. Attend the End of Busy Retreat Celebration, 11/24, 6 – 7:30 p.m., Garden Chapel Discussion; refreshments in the Lounge. Meet other students who have been on the Busy Retreat with you from across campus, reflect on your experience, celebrate completing the retreat journey., 10 points
11. Take a break from all your electronic devices for 1 hour. (Turn off your phone and computer and avoid all electronics, screens and blue light.), 15 points.
12. Take the Busy Retreat Pre-retreat and post-retreat questionnaires., 10 points.
13. Share a meal with another retreat participant and discuss your spiritual journeys. 10 points.