L3: Listen, Learn, Lead Internship Program for United Campus Ministry (UCM) Chaplaincy
Internship Program Description
- Helps Interns explore and discover their unique life callings or career paths.
- Offers 4 internships in four potential program tracks: Sciences, Arts & Humanities, Business, and Wellness.
- Provides leadership development and mentoring opportunities.
- Gives interns the opportunity to interact and network with area professionals, including the ability to shadow individuals in professional ministry.
- Guides/facilitates participants in conversations.
Read more about the internship, including major responsibilities, requirements, and how to apply on our L3 page. We are looking forward to hearing from you!
L3, Listen, Learn, and Lead, is our newest program, inviting students to explore the intersection of vocation and faith.
Our first L3 intern, Courtney Steininger, shares a few thoughts about this program:
Society pushes young people to find an occupation, but there is little thought about the marriage of faith and work. One of my favorite T.V. shows is Ballykissangel, a 1990s British drama set in a small Irish village. As irrelevant as this fact may seem to L3, I think that one of the characters, a Catholic priest, epitomizes the contemporary conceptualization of calling. He explains that his parents expected him to find an occupation and implies that they were slightly taken aback by his finding a Christian vocation instead. This anecdote exemplifies the imaginary discrepancy between occupation and vocation. Furthermore, this scenario implies that one only has a vocation if he or she joins the clergy and suggests that serving the Lord may be a slightly undesirable profession, which, obviously, it is not.
Read more and spread the word about this new opportunity for growth, conversation, and exploration with students and others.
Thank you for dropping in and supporting this vital ministry at the University of Maryland.
Stay tuned for videos, photos, insightful words, and more about what is coming next for UCM.